I’ve been silent on the blog-front for a week or three, so I thought I’d just write a quick little post to let you know what’s up – in list form.
- We spent almost 2 months in Durban (while Nick worked on a film that was shot there). But now we’re back in Joburg until December – January’ish.
- Some of you may remember that I entered my first art competition (The Luxembourg Art Prize). I did not make it to the finals. This news predictably sent me back into my usual “See!? What’s the use! Of course I’m not a real artist! Who do I think I’m fooling?” self-sabotaging little hole. BUT… (insert cheers of glee!)… I did not languish in that place! I managed to climb OUT of that hole pretty quickly and have used the Luxembourg experience to hatch a couple awesome-crazy plans with Nick (that I’ve been instructed NOT to tell you…. yet).
- This has been a year of firsts. One of my most recent… most unexpected… (insert jig of triumphant glee) firsts – is that Perfect Hideaways has been paying me – like, actual money – to write occasional blog posts for them. And better yet – I’m not expected to morph into a Serious-Writer and write all… y’know… professional-like. I’ve been instructed to just beeeeee myself (which is an enormous relief!). My first paid post for Perfect Hideaways was this one.
- The 24-minute short-film that Nick and I shot earlier this year (“Starry Night”) is finished. We had a small, informal premier last week at Ster Kinekor’s head office theatre. The film is now on it’s way to various international film festivals – and it’s already opened doors for Nick to move from editing to directing. He’ll direct his first feature film next year (and I’ll be on board too… of course).
- I have written (and done some rough sketches) the first 22 pages of illustrated-poem-#2 (more about that later).
- I have ever-so-slowly been updating my website with a whole new section called “What I DO” which I’m slowly loading with photos and stories and factoids (much…much… much… more still to be added – but it’s a start).
I have all kinds of other news… but that’s just a quick, mini-round up. My mom is expecting me for lunch at her place… so I can’t linger in front of the laptop for too long today.
I’ll chat again soon-soon!