Here’s the quick low-down on how to get a book (wherever you may be in the world).
There are 3 different book options:
- Buy the book directly from me (shipped from South Africa)
- The Digital Edition (PDF format – downloaded from Gumroad)
- Buy the book from Amazon (printed by their clever print-on-demand machines).
Here’s the lowdown on all 4 options:
BUY THE BOOK DIRECTLY FROM ME:
- I have a couple boxes of books in Johannesburg (printed in South Africa).
- It costs R170 (approximately USD$12) excluding shipping fees.
- If you’d like to order one or more of these – click here.
THE DIGITAL EDITION (PDF format):
- This is the quickest and most cost-effective version to get hold of. And, of course, it offers instant gratification for all the impatient folk who don’t want to wait for books in the mail.
- You can nab the digital version off the Gumroad site by clicking here.
- I have decided to use a “choose your own price” option for this digital version to provide an opportunity for the folk who might not be able to afford my book at this stage. If you type in “0” – you’ll get my digital book for free… but I am *hoping* that the generosity of the peeps who *can* afford the book – will balance the scales somewhat.
BUY THE BOOK FROM AMAZON:
- For this, I have used Amazon’s print-on-demand service (Createspace). Basically, Amazon prints the book… ships the book… processes the payment… and I get a royalty. This is all done in North Carolina and the book does not pass through my hands at all.
- This is probably the best option for my international customers – (since it may save you some money on shipping).
- The Amazon version (although fantastic quality) is slightly different to the books I have in Johannesburg:
- the paper used is a bit different
- the books printed here in South Africa have images printed on the inside covers (whereas the Amazon version has blank, white pages on the inside covers)
- there’s a spot-varnish print effect on the South African version (that the Amazon version does not have)
- Amazon sets the price of the book – and told me that, for an 80 page, full-colour, 10X7″ book… I could not charge less than $15.78 (so I rounded it off to $16). I receive a royalty of $2.30 from Amazon – every time somebody buys one of my books from there. If people choose to buy my book from the Createspace E-store – I get a royalty of about $4.50. You will see that the list price is set at $16… but Amazon determines whether it will sell my book for less than the list price (at the time of writing – I see that it’s currently on offer for $12).
PS: If you DO decide to buy from Amazon… I would be hugely grateful if you wrote a review. The more people who shine a light on my book on Amazon… the more opportunity it has to be *seen* by others.