I was at the doctor’s office the other day. While waiting for my appointment, I started paging through the magazines in the waiting room (as one does).
This particular doctor (or maybe it’s one of his staff) seems to have a particular affinity for “HELLO” and “OK” magazines, haemorrhaging glossy photographs of rich, famous or royal people… posing and grinning in front of their mass-collections of stuff.
The photo spreads have a predictable formula. It goes like so:
Take the one of the following:
- A member of a royal family (preferably British – but anywhere in Europe will do).
- A member of the British Upper-Crust (a lord, lady or their offspring)
- A celebrity – any celebrity.
Dress them in one of the following:
- Sweeping, bling-encrusted ball gowns.
- Animal print (occasionally: “actual” animal print).
- Matching cream-coloured hues (husband should match wife).
- Horse-riding or hunting garb.
- Flowing kaftans.
- Fluffy pastels (if celebrity in question is showing off new baby).
Have them pose in one of the following ways:
- Stand tall, hand-on-hip, classic beauty queen pose (with pointed toe).
- Curl up on couch or bed (especially if introducing a new beau or new baby)
- Sprawled across something (ie: bed, kitchen counter, grand piano, Lamborghini).
Strategically place them:
- In front of their mansion or castle.
- In front of (or on top of) their collection of cars.
- Next to (or on top of) a horse.
- Posed at the foot of their massive staircase.
- Kneeling prettily in front of their shoe collection (sometimes, with shoes artfully scattered around them).
- In their walk-in closet with their department-store-size collection of clothes.
- In their bedroom (often on the bed).
- In their kitchen (sometimes on the kitchen counter).
Anyway… you get the picture. It’s all rather noxious. But I marvel at it anyway… the gaudy display of wealth and stuff. The shiny “look-how-marvellous-my-life-is” grins. The designer clothes, shoes and handbags. The eight-expensive-cars-in-the-driveway… the whole… I dunno… excess… of it all….
And I think to myself: “Am I supposed to want this?”
Am I supposed to look at those pictures and feel… I dunno… envy?
Am I supposed to want the designer clothes and the walk-in closet and the thousands of shoes? Am I supposed to want the parties, the ceremonies… the gushing at cameras… the endless mingling and socialising… the displaying-one’s-wealth (and often one’s arm-candy) like show ponies?
With every iota in me – I can say this for SURE: I don’t want their lives. I don’t want their clothes. I don’t want their stuff.
That’s not to say that I don’t have dreams.
On the contrary, I have many dreams. And yes, there are things that I want.
But I don’t want that.
I don’t want the stuff or the lifestyles promoted in the “OK” and “HELLO”…
I’ll tell you the types of people who REALLY inspire me… who make me think to myself: “I want that!”…
I’m inspired by people who are FREE. I’m inspired by travelling families and digital nomads. I’m inspired by people who have deliberately and successfully simplified their lives. People who suck the marrow out of their time on earth. Brave people. Risk-takers, rule-breakers… those who live deliberately… who aren’t afraid to live life on their terms.
I’m inspired by people who are REAL… by those who refuse to wear masks or to pretend to be something or someone that they’re not. I’m inspired by those who aren’t afraid to show their vulnerability or to share their weaknesses.
I’m inspired by people with happy marriages and well-adjusted, happy kids. People who laugh a lot… and smile a lot… and who are generous with their lives, their gifts and their words. People who are passionate about what they do – who light up with excitement when talking about their next project or idea.
I’m inspired by givers… and doers. I’m inspired by thoughtful people, by those who value integrity… by those who have made it their mission to make the world a better place.
I’m inspired by those who see life as a precious gift… who enthusiastically embrace every moment (both good and bad) for the lessons that it offers.
I’m inspired by those who LIVE deliberately and enthusiastically, GIVE cheerfully and LOVE generously .
THAT’S what I want.
THAT’S what my dreams and wishes are made of.